Nov 19-20, 2022
Costume Contest Prize:
Exclusive Dinner at the Captain’s Table
(small group video call with The Spare Man author, Mary Robinette Kowal)
For instructions on how to enter the contest, please submit your name and email address here. You will receive an email with instructions.
You have personally been invited to the Orbital Transfer Party of the ISS Lindgren. The crew hopes you will enjoy the festivities.
During the party, the captain will be looking for stylish individuals to invite to dine at the exclusive Captain’s table.
Oh dear, you forgot to pack for the event. You’ll have to make do with what you can find in your stateroom.
Contest Entry Dates
You may enter the contest via TikTok or Instagram on November 19-20, 2022. You may instead enter the contest via Twitter, but at your own risk; it is a volatile platform at this time, and we may not be able to count your entry due to circumstances out of our control. We recommend you use TikTok or Instagram instead.
Please submit your name and email address in the form above to receive full contest instructions.
Contest Prize Information
If you are selected as a winner, you will be personally notified and asked to select your preferred time to attend to sit at the Captain’s table. The available times are:
- Terran Dinner: December 1, 2022, 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time (Ideal for guests attending from the Americas)
- Martian Dinner: December 2, 2022, 8:00 pm Australian Eastern Daylight Time (Ideal for guests attending from Australia or Asia)
- Lunar Dinner: December 4, 2022, 8:00pm East African Time (Ideal for guests attending from Africa or Europe)
No purchase is necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not increase the chances of winning.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up at https://www.maryrobinettekowal.com and who are 18 as of the date of entry. The Contest (“Campaign”) is only open where valid by law and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Mary Robinette Kowal (“MRK”), her affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agrees to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of [your company name] as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on November 19, 2022 at 12:00am EST and ending November 20, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. All online entries must be received by November 20, 2022 at 11:59pm EST.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by subscribing to MRK’s email list using the online form provided at https://www.maryrobinettekowal.com. The Contestant must post a picture of themselves in a costume to TikTok or Instagram holding up their free Orbital Transfer Party ticket (provided via email) and use the hashtag #SpareManRedCarpet, between November 19, 2022 at 12:00am EST and November 20, 2022 at 11:59pm EST. The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of MRK. You may submit your entry via Twitter at your own risk. Please note it is a volatile platform, and your entry may not be counted due to circumstances out of our control.
You may enter only once. Even if you post your picture to multiple social media platforms, you will be counted as having placed one entry. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple costumes, email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of MRK.
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive an invitation to a “Captain’s dinner” (a 50-minute virtual meet-and-greet with author Mary Robinette Kowal). Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. No cash value is assigned to the award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by MRK. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at MRK’s discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for MRK to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by judgement of “best contest” under the supervision and sole discretion of MRK. Winner will be notified by direct message on social media or email within five (5) days following selection of Winner. MRK shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk email, or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 3 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Any violation of these official rules by Winner (at MRK’s sole discretion) will result in Winner’s disqualification as Winner of the Campaign, and all privileges as Winner will be immediately terminated.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that MRK, anyone acting on behalf of MRK, and MRK’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of MRK. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless MRK from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which MRK may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: MRK reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond MRK’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, MRK may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by MRK. MRK reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. MRK has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same social media account; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such an attempt be made, MRK reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless MRK and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: This Campaign is governed by the laws of the State of Tennessee and the United States of America, without respect to conflict of law doctrines. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in the State of Tennessee having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: The Winners’ names will be posted to social media from the account of MRK.
14. Social Media: The Campaign hosted by MRK is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Twitter, TikTok, or Instagram.
15. By entering the contest, You, the Contestant, have affirmatively reviewed, accepted, and agreed to all of the Official Rules.