Ellen Datlow was one of the few editors whose name I knew before I started writing. I bought everything in the Fairy Tale series that she and Terri Windling edited and devoured The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror. So, I’ve been wanting to sell Ellen a story for approximately twenty years. And finally, finally have.
I’m very pleased that my short horror story, “Doctor Faustus” will be appearing in her new anthology The Doll Collection out from Tor in spring of 2015.
Here’s the first paragraph as a teaser.
Julia stretched her back until it popped. God. It felt like she’d been on the marionette bridge for days. But a chance to do a remount of Orson Fucking Welles’s The Tragical History of Doctor Faustus? Off-Broadway? Not a chance a girl turned down, even if the theater was just a blackbox crammed in the basement of an old Masonic lodge. It was still off-Broadway and still Orson Welles. And puppets for adults. Give her blood and guts over fake fur and feathers any day, thank you very much.
And take a look at the table of contents.
- Introduction by Ellen Datlow
- Heroes and Villains by Stephen Gallagher
- The Doll-Master by Joyce Carol Oates
- Gaze by Gemma Files
- In Case of Zebras by Pat Cadigan
- Miss Sibyl-Cassandra by Lucy Sussex
- Skin and Bone by Tim Lebbon
- There Is No Place for Sorrow in the Kingdom of the Cold by Seanan McGuire
- Goodness and Kindness by Carrie Vaughn
- Daniel’s Theory of Dolls by Stephen Graham Jones
- After and Back Before by Miranda Siemienowicz
- Doctor Faustus by Mary Robinette Kowal
- Doll Court by Richard Bowes
- Visit Lovely Cornwall on the Western Railway Line by Genevieve Valentine
- Ambitious Boys Like You by Richard Kadrey
- The Permanent Collection by Veronica Schanoes
- Homemade Monsters by John Langan
- Word Doll by Jeffrey Ford
via The Doll Collection.