The Writing Clothespin sign
At writing retreats, it’s awkward sometimes because it’s hard to tell when someone is writing or just goofing off. So I made a tri-fold sign that I rotate to make it clear if I’m Writing, doing Other Work, or Goofing Off. Since we just mentioned the sign on the latest edition of Writing Excuses, I thought I’d give you a version that you can download and make.
The Writing Clothespin sign DIY pdf
I also have the desktop trifold version, which I use at home. It doesn’t require anything exotic like a clothespin, just cardstock and tape.
- Download and print it.
- Fold on faint dotted lines
- Tape, glue, or paperclip the top and bottom edges together so they line up inside the tri-fold sign.
- Rotate the sign so that the appropriate word is right side up and facing on-coming traffic.
Train family and friends to look at sign before approaching (This is the hard part.)
- Writing = DO NOT SPEAK TO ME.
- Other Work = Approach with caution
- Goofing Off = Totally safe