Things said at work, redux
Things I say
- I’m moving back to Shimmer land. Screw the gods.
- Just be sure you aren’t screwing when the actors get there.
- Can I get a stiffer rod?
- I can retain his rods if I hold them between my pelvis and his head
- May I touch your dead animal head?
- He couldn’t get it up.
- All I have to do is buy this moosehead and then pick up some KY jelly.
- I think I can give you a donut but I’ll have to sacrifice a baby bunny
- Give me a second to wash the blood off my hands
- All right. Who wants to be tied up?
What it really means
- I had been painting Greek gods for a show all day and needed to get back to layout
- Discussing set construction at a theater.
- The metal rod had too much spring in it for the weight of the puppet’s hand.
- I kept dropping the arm rods of a puppet that stood waist high.
- I was moving some taxidermy heads
- At the end of a long day, a puppeteer was too fatigued to lift his arm, and heavy puppet, over his head.
- I needed to complete a purchase of a taxidermied moose head on e-bay to be used as set dressing in a show about Teddy Roosevelt. The next item on my to-do list was to pick up KY jelly for another show. It goes in the bottom of ashtrays as a fire safety measure.
- We needed a donut to appear magically on stage. The only foam that I had that had the right density was part of a baby bunny prop.
- I was mixing stage blood and had it all over my hands
- I needed to test a trick rope that had a quick release.