Writing Excuses 8.1: Microcasting
We’re back for 2013 and Season 8, so let’s start it off by answering all your questions! That’s right, it’s time for a fast-paced, lightning round of microcasting! It’s like eight very, very short podcasts in one.
- Why do some authors only ever come out with one or two books?
- What’s your process for writing fast under artificial deadlines (NaNoWriMo)?
- How do you avoid getting bogged down in explanation?
- What happened to your Hero of a Thousand Faces episode? (Whoops! See below.)
- Are there concerns or pitfalls regarding the use of metaphors and similes in genre fiction?
- What are some pitfalls to writing short stories?
- How do you write sex scenes? (Note: This particular question resulted in an entire episode back in Season 7. Shanna Germain to the rescue!)
- Have any of you included original poems in your work?
Whoops! We lock-stepped this episode to the release of A Memory of Light, but we ALSO locked it to air after our Hero of a Thousand Faces discussion. Crass commercialism trumps continuity! You’ll get the hero’s journey next week.