Sale! Birthright to 2020 Visions
(I actually wrote this post in August but saved it as a draft instead of publishing. Whoops!)
Way back in 2005, I attended OSC’s Literary BootCamp with Rick Novy. He and I had known each other online, but this was the first time we met in person. We’ve stayed in touch over the years and when he asked me if I had anything that might work for 2020 Visions, his anthology of near-future SF, I was delighted.
I was even happier when he accepted “Birthright,” especially after I saw the rest of the TOC.
- Mary Robinette Kowal – Birthright
- Sheila Finch – The Persistence of Butterflies
- Randy Henderson – A Shelter for Living Things
- Jason S. Ridler – Showing Light
- Ernest Hogan – Radiation is Groovy, Kill the Pigs
- David Lee Summers – The Revelation of Thought
- Jeff Spock – Teh Afterl1fe (This is not a typo – Rick)
- Emily Devenport – If the Sun’s at Five O’Clock, It Must be Yellow Daisies
- Cat Rambo – Therapy Buddha
- Jack Mangan – Dead Rookies
- David Boop – Organ Cloning While You Wait
- Spencer Ellsworth – The Black Plague of Our Generation
- Gareth L. Powell – The Bigger The Star, The Faster It Burns
- Alethea Kontis – Pocket Full of Posey
- Alex Wilson – Nervewrecking
- David Gerrold – Time Capsule 2120: Actual Comments from Lunar Tourists
Here’s an excerpt of the story.
Restless within the confines of the waiting room, Helen looked out the window of the Birthright Clinic. Her fingers twisted her wedding ring as if she were spinning straw into gold.
Her husband read an outdated magazine with a relaxed air that magnified her tension. Light caressed Daniel’s freckled cheekbones. He looked up, as if he felt the weight of her gaze. “Are you all right?”
“Of course.” She smiled at him.
He closed the magazine. “We don’t have to do this today.”