Loki’s face, take one
- A first concept for Thor’s head
- Thor’s body and playing with Loki’s face
- Demo of Loki puppet for auditions
- Odin’s concept and paper trials.
- Odin assembly: Photos from Odd and the Frost Giants
- Assembling Thor for Odd and the Frost Giants
- Assembling rehearsal Loki for Odd and the Frost Giants.
- Odd – Set Model!
- Loki’s face, take one
- Assembly of Thor’s head for Odd and the Frost Giants
- Would you like to visit me and see some puppets?
- Heading home, with pictures of the puppets
- A Peek at Odd rehearsal
- Tech rehearsal – just pictures
- Odd and the Frost Giants – Up and Running
Today I assembled Loki’s face for the Odd and the Frost Giants production and, unsurprisingly, it didn’t go well. He is the god of mischief after all.
I had the pattern that I’d worked out for the rehearsal puppets. When I cut it out of the watercolor paper, it looked slightly odd. so I decided to go ahead and assemble the face in paper to remind myself of what I’d done.
While I know that I’d made the decision to have an asymmetrical face, I was no longer happy with it so decided to balance the two sides and lay it out at a slight angle on the wood so that the grain would give the impression of a lopsided face without actually building it that way. After I traced the main part of the face, I had some trouble getting the marks for scoring to show up. Normally, I press down on the line and it transfers to the paper. Wood veneer is not so simple.
So I poked holes in the pattern with a small nail and then used a pencil to draw dots on the veneer. Without the paper in place, it is easier to see what I mean about the slight angle of the grain.
Normally I score paper with a bone folder, but the woodgrain requires me to very, very lightly score the surface with an Exacto knife. Even with that, I have to soak the skin in hot water to make it pliable enough to bend. After the first soaking, Loki’s upper lip was too stiff to make a bend that I wanted so I had to toss him back into the water. He spent a lot of time bathing for this process.
To hold the head together, I used a combination of spring clips, tin foil and a vise. The challenge is that while he is wet enough to bend easily, he is too wet for anything to adhere to. So I have to get him into approximately the right position and then wait for the surface to dry enough to take tape or glue but before it gets so dry that I can’t bend him. It’s a very narrow window of time. During the process of assembling him, I realized I’d gone through the snout with the scoring. Although I was able to patch that spot, another tear happened on his right cheek that wasn’t repairable.
After looking at him, I think that the pattern is flawed. It’s a challenging set of folds to begin with and meant for a more pliable medium than wood veneer. I’m going to spend today working out a simpler paper pattern and then trying again with another piece of veneer.
Just by way of comparison, I worked out the pattern for Thor’s head with only two attempts. Odin’s head also took about two tries. This will be my eighth attempt at a pattern for Loki’s head. God of Mischief indeed.